Michael is a partner specialising in corporate and projects matters.
Michael’s corporate and commercial practice includes mergers, acquisitions and disposals (including through competitive processes), joint venture and limited partnership arrangements, takeovers, corporate restructurings, foreign investment in New Zealand and other significant corporate advisory, commercial contract and governance matters. Michael also has broad project experience particularly in the energy sector.
Michael has a reputation as a commercially minded lawyer who is able to seamlessly integrate with client and deal teams to deliver business outcomes.
Michael was a finalist for Young Private Practice Lawyer of the Year at the 2015 New Zealand Law Awards and was named on NZ Lawyer’s 2016 Hot List. Michael has also been ranked as an “Up and Coming” lawyer by Chambers and Partners. Michael was a finalist for the New Zealand Dealmaker of the Year award at the 2018 Australasian Law Awards.
Michael’s experience includes advising:
- Stevenson Group on the agreed sale of its construction materials business to Fulton Hogan.
- Genesis Energy on its acquisition of Nova Energy’s LPG business for $192m.
- IPH Limited on its acquisition of AJ Park for $66m.
- Pacific Equity Partners on the acquisition of Leader Products for over $100m;
- IAG New Zealand on the New Zealand component of Insurance Australia Group’s purchase of Wesfarmers’ underwriting businesses for AU$1.845b;
- Ironbridge Capital and management shareholders on the $501m disposal of Enviro Waste Services to Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings;
- SKYCITY on its New Zealand International Convention Centre and Hobson Street Hotel precinct (>$700m) including arrangements with the Crown and with Fletcher Construction as the contractor.
- SKYCITY Entertainment Group on the $402m Crown deal for the New Zealand International Convention Centre.
- on the sale or acquisition of a number of small to medium size enterprises, either in full or in part, ranging from a purchase price of $2m to $45m.
- advising a venture capital fund on all aspects of fund establishment as a limited liability partnership and licensing.
- Apollo Global Management on its acquisition of a 50% interest in the Leighton Contractors services business for AU$700m.
- Hellaby Holdings on the divestment of its Equipment Group ($81m), and acquisitions of TBS group ($45m), PAT ($13.5m), JAS Oceania and DAMS ($25m).
- the directors MediaWorks on the group’s proposed restructuring arrangements with its senior lenders (including, ultimately, receivership), including on their ongoing directorial duties throughout the process (media reported $700m debt.
- Pepkor on its acquisition of the assets of Postie Plus Group (out of voluntary administration).