We are one of the leading law firms in the Asia-Pacific region with a focus on the telecoms and media sector. Our team advises some of the world’s largest telecoms operators and media companies on their most complex and strategically important corporate, commercial and regulatory projects.
Our telecommunications experience includes:
- deployment of super-fast broadband networks, the development and implementation new forms of access regulation for these networks and the provision of wholesale access to these broadband networks. We have acted for key players on all of the major NBN projects in the Asia Pacific
- IoT / smart city projects, including the design, negotiation and implementation of the corporate and commercial transactions that underpin the participation of private sector players in government sponsored smart city initiatives
- passive and active network infrastructure sharing transactions, including the sharing of mobile network infrastructure, domestic roaming and collocation agreements among telecommunications operators
- regulatory developments that fundamentally alter the existing industry structure of the telecommunications sector, including the implementation of functional and structural separation as a regulatory remedy across a range of jurisdictions
- investment in international connectivity and undersea cable systems, including consortium and privately funded cable systems, landing party agreements, cable systems procurement and IRUs and leasing of cable capacity
- the procurement and implementation of key OSS/BSS systems, network infrastructure rollouts and managed service projects, including billing, CRM and ESB solutions, radio and core network rollouts for voice and data, next generation HLR solutions and network management outsourcing
- ex-ante economic regulation of telecommunications infrastructure and services, including market leading experience in the economic regulation of duct, dark fibre and wholesale bitstream services, including in emerging areas of regulation such as net neutrality and wholesale access regimes in relation to media and content
- competition law issues, including bundling of competitive and non-competitive services, on-net pricing discounts, vertical price squeeze and predatory pricing, price discrimination and contractual restrictions that limit competition
- providing advice on legislative and regulatory reform in relation to the telecoms, broadcasting and media sectors, as well strategic regulatory advice on licensing, authorisations and local regulatory requirements in a number of jurisdictions.
We focus on strategic commercial and regulatory projects for broadcasters, new media companies and telecommunications clients.
Our media experience includes:
- assisting online video providers in the design and launch of over-the-top and managed services from procurement of hardware to acquisition of cloud-based capabilities
- the negotiation of online content deals with all major international and key domestic video producers and distributors, including managing security and regulatory risks and liability, defining platform rights and negotiating licensing packages for key markets in the Asia-Pacific and Middle East
- advising free to air and pay TV broadcasters on strategic transactions across the media industry, including acquisition of significant content rights, licensing and content requirements and distribution rights over multiple platforms
- advising telecommunications clients on rights acquisition strategies and commercial transactions, media strategies and partnering with online video distributors
- market power issues arising from concentration and convergence in the media sector including market power issues arising out of control of premium content, such as top-tier sports rights and first-run Hollywood movies and the design and implementation of regulatory wholesale access regimes.