Our lawyers provide strategic advice to a wide range of clients, including multinational and domestic companies (both listed and privately owned), high net worth individuals and families, financial sponsors and Government owned entities. We regularly work closely at board level and with senior management.
Our experience extends across a wide range of styles and approaches and we have a market reputation for astute legal and commercial judgement, flexible thinking and achieving business outcomes.
We have extensive experience advising on acquisitions and dispositions, joint venture arrangements, takeovers, capital structure and corporate re-structuring, capital markets transactions including public offers of securities, stock exchange listing requirements and governance arrangements, financial markets law compliance advice and providing strategic input on dealings with regulators.
The team is led by partners Garth Sinclair and Michael Gartshore.
Our corporate experience includes advising:
- IAG New Zealand on the New Zealand component of Insurance Australia Group’s purchase of Wesfarmers’ underwriting businesses for A$1.845 billion;
- Harvard Management Company, Inc. on the two tranche sale of 60% of Kaingaroa Timberlands to PSP and NZSF for media-reported $1.4 billion;
- Pacific Equity Partners and Patties Foods on their agreement to acquire frozen convenience food manufacturer Leader Products;
- IAG New Zealand on its divestment of its insurance brokerage business, Runacres and Associates, for $35 million;
- Hellaby Holdings on its acquisition of TBS Group for $45 million (plus any earn-out);
- Stevenson Group and Stevenson Mining on the administration of Solid Energy;
- WAM Leaders Limited on the New Zealand aspects of its $A400 million IPO and ASX Listing;
- the shareholders of Streamland Honey Group in relation to the sale of 50% of the company to an overseas investor, together with associated joint venture and funding arrangements;
- Hellaby Holdings on the $81 million sale of its Equipment Group to Maui Capital’s Aqua Fund;
- Fisher Trust on the $112 million sale of its interests in Highbrook Business Park to Goodman Property Trust;
- Goldman Sachs on $216 million three-way merger of Vision Senior Living, Metlifecare and Private Life Care;
- Ironbridge Capital and management shareholders on the $501 million disposal of Enviro Waste Services to Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings;
- Hellaby Holdings on its acquisition of Australian auto business JAS Oceania, and New Zealand truck servicing business DAMS, for a combined value of less than A$25 million;
- Mediaworks directors on the restructure of its media reported “circa $700 million debt”;
- Future Generation Global, on a pro bono basis, regarding the New Zealand law compliance requirements of its $550 million IPO and ASX listing;
- SKYCITY Entertainment Group on the $402m Crown deal for the New Zealand International Convention Centre;
- Hellaby Holdings on its acquisition of Australian automotive business Premier Auto Trade for A$13 million;
- IAG New Zealand on its successful bid to acquire certain assets and liabilities of AMI Insurance for $380 million;
- Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation on the $142 million acquisition of a 35% interest in Datacom Group from New Zealand Post;
- QuantRes in relation to its joint venture takeover of Radius Properties;
- Hellaby Holdings in relation to its acquisition of Federal Batteries for approximately A$12 million;
- Pepkor on the acquisition of the business of Postie Plus from administrators as part of an insolvency process.
Our lawyers advise across the full range of infrastructure projects, including strategic high value projects. We have a reputation for quickly understanding the requirements of the project, becoming part of the project team and delivering pragmatic and quality advice in a timely manner.
We provide strategic and legal advice on infrastructure ownership structures including on consortium formation, joint venture or limited partnership establishment, equity investment and inter-shareholder arrangements. We are fully conversant with procurement methods used internationally, from build only and design-build procurement, through to the various whole-of-life outsourcing formats. This includes significant experience with public-private partnerships.
Our projects experience includes:
- Acting for SKYCITY Entertainment Group on the $477 million procurement and construction of the New Zealand International Convention Centre;
- Acting for a confidential contracting party as part of a competitive tender bid for the Puhoi to Warkworth PPP;
- Advising Watercare Services Limited on the $700 million upgrade of its wastewater treatment facility at Mangere, Auckland;
- Advising Contrucciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles, S.A. on its successful $640 million bid to supply and maintain 57 new electric trains for the city of Auckland over a 12 year period;
- Advising Vector on the construction of a 10 kilometre 220kV transmission tunnel under the southern motorway in Auckland;
- Drafting suites of standard form construction documentation for clients such as Fonterra Co-operative Group Limited, Vector Limited, SKYCITY Entertainment Group Limited and Auckland International Airport Limited;
- Advising Carter Holt Harvey Limited in relation to the procurement and installation of a major new pulp line at its Kawerau Facility;
- Advising Genesis Power Limited on the construction of a new 400MW combined cycle power station at Huntly and its Hau Nui windfarm and related facilities.